Tibor de Nagy
City: New York
Address: 724 Fifth Avenue
About The Partner
About Tibor de Nagy
Tibor de Nagy Gallery is among the earliest modern art galleries in New York. Started in 1950, today it has a vital contemporary program and a focus on the Post War second generation New York School. Since 1993 the gallery has been owned and directed by Andrew Arnot and Eric Brown. They have continued a commitment to the gallery history, promoting artists it has championed for years. They have also established a primary contemporary program and an active secondary market. The gallery has always been an uptown presence and at its current location at 724 Fifth Avenue for over fifteen years.
The gallery was founded by Tibor de Nagy and John Myers and quickly earned a reputation for establishing emerging artists including Carl Andre, Helen Frankenthaler, Red Grooms, Larry Rivers, Jane Freilicher, Fairfield Porter, among others. The gallery became a salon for artists and poets and exhibited collaborations between them. The gallery published early volumes by poetry by the major New York School poets John Ashbery, Kenneth Koch, and Frank O'Hara. It continues its involvement in poetry today and publishes books from time-to-time.
The gallery specializes in paintings and works on paper. It represents a group of artists whose works are either painterly representational or abstract. It also works with a number of Estates of such singular figures as Joe Brainard, Rudy Burckhardt, Donald Evans, and Jess.